Position: Academy Strength and Conditioning Coach
To design, implement, deliver and continually evaluate all areas of physical development within the Scarlets Academy (U18s) and associated pathway teams.
- In conjunction with the Scarlets U18s Head Coach, Coleg Sir Gar Director of Rugby, Academy Manager & Academy Head Strength and Conditioning Coach – design, implement, deliver and continually evaluate all areas of physical development for U18s players within the following:
Academy U18’s contracted players
Academy ‘Extended’ Group
Regional Age Grade U18s
Coleg Sir Gar Rugby Programme
- Collaborate with Academy Manager and appropriate coaching staff to plan short and long-term training schedules that facilitate the physical development of players/teams within the role.
- As part of a multi-disciplinary team, prepare and review Individual Player Plans (IPP) for contracted U18s Academy players.
- Collaborate with U18s Physiotherapist to integrate and manage injury prevention work within the training programme relative to individual and positional needs.
- Collaborate with U18s Physiotherapist to plan and manage the return to play and re-integration of injured players.
- Work alongside coaches to plan and deliver session content for rugby/skill sessions.
- Be present at all rugby/skills sessions and matches to deliver content relating to session preparation and physical development, and assist coaches in session delivery.
- Monitor and manage training intensity and volume of players to optimise training provision and performance.
- Responsible for implementing and managing testing/monitoring and reporting of all U18s physical development, and where appropriate according to Senior Strength and Conditioning and WRU testing procedures.
- Assistance with Academy 18+ and Development training sessions, as and when instructed by Head Academy Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- Provide education sessions to players on aspects of physical preparation and lifestyle which support players physical and professional development.
- Remotely manage and assess quality of physical development programme delivery and service to all associated pathway teams (Pembrokeshire College, Llandovery College S&C, Scarlets U17s Training Group, Scarlets West U16s, Scarlets East U16s, U15s Dewar Shield Cup) and away-based players (e.g. Hartpury College).
- Assist Academy & Senior Head Strength and Conditioning Coach if and when required.
- Assist, work alongside and support Academy Manager, Head Academy Strength and Conditioning Coach and any Senior Scarlets Physical Performance Staff Member as required.
- Communication with WRU and other external parties.
- The role will include both weekends and evening work. Hours can vary and are subject to change depending on a variety of factors (senior timetables, fixtures, time of the season etc). You may also be required to perform other duties other than those for which you have been specifically employed, to ensure that the requirements of Scarlets Regional Limited and its clients are met.
- Undergraduate degree in Strength and Conditioning, Sport Science or related qualification
- Experience working within professional/elite sport and young athletes.
- Good understanding of the demands and requirements of elite rugby union and developing young athletes.
- Excellent organisation skills, and the ability to both lead and be part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent IT and presentation skills.
- Driving licence and own vehicle.
- UKSCA Accreditation or equivalent qualification (NSCA, ASCA).
- Masters in Strength and Conditioning, Sport Science or related qualification.
- Experience within a professional rugby environment.
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks will be carried out for the successful candidate.
Contract is full-time, fixed term, with salary to be discussed following interview. Your main location of work will primarily be split between Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli SA14 9UZ and Coleg Sir Gar, Llanelli SA15 4DN. However, you will be required to occasionally work in other locations (eg visit players/pathway teams, away fixtures).
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you believe you are suitable for the role to Academy Head Strength and Conditioning Coach William Bevan ([email protected]) by 12pm, Friday, April 21. Interview process and dates are to be confirmed following the deadline.